Marriage License

Obtaining a marriage license 

1. Both must apply for the license in-person.
2. Both must be 18 years old or older (if either party is under 18, please see below)
NOTE: If an applicant is 17 years of age they may petition the Family Court in the county which the minor resides for an order granting permission to marry.  Per KRS 402.210 (EFFECTIVE JULY 14, 2018) and Kentucky does not allow issuing of a marriage license if either party is under 17 years of age.
3. Both must present an acceptable form of identification that is not expired
NOTE: acceptable forms of id are a United States driver’s license, a passport, or a state issued identification card


What do we do after we are married?

    • Return the signed marriage license to the Gallatin County Clerk’s Office by either mailing it back or dropping it off in person.  It will be filed with the County Clerk and a certified copy of the Marriage License will be mailed to the couple.
    • When changing your maiden name, you will take your certified copy of the marriage license to the Social Security Administration. For more Information or questions please contact the Social Security Office .
    • Upon receiving clearance from the Social Security Administration, then you may change your name on your driver’s license. For more Information or questions please contact the Gallatin County Circuit Clerk’s Office.